Top 5 Startup Grants for Canadian Businesses
Starting a new business in Canada can be a daunting task. While the startup community is robust in some of Canada’s larger cities, the infrastructure needed to support a new or growing business can sometimes seem a little bit scant.
At Liftoff Capital, we want new startups to succeed. To help, we’ve compiled a list of five Canadian Startup Grants, that every Canadian entrepreneur should be aware of.
Make sure your startup isn’t leaving money on the table.
Top 5 Canadian Startup Grants
- The Industrial Research Assistance Program (IRAP): IRAP provides funding of up to $500k for Canadian startups with a focus on the commercialization of technology products, processes and services. This grant applies to both novel technology and improvements in existing models. Qualifying requires one full-time employee. This grant is intended to be issued prior to your business incurring expenses.
- The Canada Job Grant (CJG): this grant offers up to $10k towards the development of your workforce. It is available everywhere in Canada other than Quebec.
- Strategic Innovation Fund (SIF): The SIF is designed to help established businesses and startups improve their processes and accelerate technological innovation. The provided assistance is results-oriented. Various streams of this program are specifically designed for accelerating the of new technology, expanding a business throughout Canada, attracting international investment to Canada, advancing technology and industry through private sector partnerships, or the development of technology designed to support the Canadian ecosystem.
- SD Tech Seed Fund: This fund is focused on the environmental impacts of businesses. Early stage clean-tech projects may qualify for one-time grants of $50-$100k.
- CanExport Grant: If you are expanding your exports into a new market in which you have no previous sales, the CanExport Grant can cover a significant portion of your upfront marketing and exporting costs. This can include the cost of your research and analysis, your product certification costs , packaging costs and development costs including attendance at trade-shows.
Liftoff Capital is an online startup community that gives your business exposure to potential investors, and offers expertise from a worldwide network of entrepreneurs.